Tuesday, June 3, 2014

The Scholastic Warehouse

Two weeks ago I went to a baby shower. While there, several women started talking about the Scholastic warehouse in Arlington. They said there was a giant sell going on. The books were selling for cheap, and by golly, I’m all about super cheap books. I love, Love, LOVE books! Growing up, my dream job was to work at Deseret Book, Seagull Book, or the library. However, none of these dream jobs ever came true, but my love of books has grown. If I had a choice I would read a book all day, every day.

After the shower, I came home and told Stephen I wanted to go. He agreed and we tried to put Piper down for a nap before going. Apparently our desires and Piper’s weren't the same. She did not want to take a nap, so instead of sitting around, we decided to skip the nap and go. Bad decision!

When I heard the word warehouse, I should have know it was going to be a huge but for some reason that thought never crossed my mind. It wasn’t until we were in the warehouse and started to weave back and forth through isles that I realized what I had dragged Stephen and Piper into.


There were books everywhere! There were carts full of books, tables of books, shelves of books, and boxes of books. I never thought I would be overwhelmed surrounded by so many books. In elementary school I remember the book fair coming to our school. It was always fun look at the books and buy a new one. Going to the Scholastic warehouse was a school book fair on steroids!


After 15 minutes, Stephen was ready to leave. He was definitely not enjoying himself as much as I was! Eventually Piper decided she was not having fun either. At one point she was super ornery so I decided to put her on the ground while I looked at a book. She enjoyed crawling down the long isle and pulling herself up to the shelves, however, that was bad decision #2!


Stephen picked up Piper and she was filthy! The pictures don’t even do her filthiness justice. Her hands, legs, face, and shirt were covered in dirt. I probably should have thought my decision though before putting her down.


It took lots of wipes to make that baby somewhat presentable again. After that, Stephen carried our screaming baby around while I looked at books. I think he sped through the warehouse as quickly as possible so he could get out of there sooner. Every so often, they would come looking for me and pop up among the shelves of books.


We spent over 3 hours in the warehouse! They almost had to kick us out to close up. Upon hearing about the sale, I never thought we’d spend almost the whole afternoon wandering through shelves of dirty books. In the end, they boxed up our books and sent us on our way. We bought several board books, pictures books, and books for me. Oh how I adore books!

1 comment:

Ben and Kristen Call said...

why couldn't you have discovered this place while I was still living in Texas. I would have definitely gone with you. Jealous of your great finds!