Thursday, May 22, 2014

An Afternoon Delight

While in Arkansas for Easter, I got the experience of a lifetime! I got the chance to become a welder for 2 hours. Stephen’s uncle Scott is starting a construction company and recently obtained a rack to carry lumber in the back of his truck. The only problem, it was too big for the truck. Fixing things seems to be no problem for Stephen’s dad and Uncle Scott. If something doesn’t work right, you fix it. I sure wish Stephen and I knew how to fix and build things!!!

After we arrived, I went outside to talk to Scott. He had already cut off the excess metal and was getting ready to weld the rack back together. I expressed my interested and before I knew it I was getting dressed in coveralls so I wouldn’t burn holes in my clothes, gloves, and a helmet.


I was excited but terrified I was going to mess his project up! ‘What if I welded it wrong’, ‘What if it looked bad,’ ‘Were they really going to let me do this?’ All these thoughts were going through my mind. Stephen and Scott assured me that if I messed it up they’d be able to fix it.


After doing my first section, Scott told me how great it looked. He made me feel like I was a pro at welding. His compliments made me think I should start my own company!! They laughingly told Stephen he needed to buy a truck so I could haul my welding equipment to jobs. After the first section I though I would be done, however, I was far from done! I got to weld the whole things back together. Scott told me what I good job I was doing and how great it looked. He even told me how it had taken him many years to learn what I had just done and make it look as good. I think he was just being nice.

Before welding the last section together, I also learned how to use sander. I can't say I enjoyed sanding as much as I did welding.  I struggled to hold the sander and push the button at the same time. Needless to say, I needed lots of help.


I had so much fun out in the shop with Scott, Wally, and Stephen. I wouldn’t mind doing another welding project. Guess we might need to move a little closer, or visit more often.

** EDIT **
The lumber rack is finally finished. Scott sent me a picture of it. It looks quite nice. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the thing doesn't fall apart!


2 comments:

Ben and Kristen Call said...

LOOK at you Miss Welder you! Now you guys really need to buy your own home so you guys can get your own welding stuff and start welding for a hobby!

Jen Gull said...

You are awesome