Friday, May 16, 2014

Crazy Texan Weather

Ever since I was a little girl, I imagined I would live close to my family. During my childhood, my grandparents lived next door to us. The bus stop was a bit of a walk from our house. We would always have to stop at grandpa and grandma’s house to get some nourishment to finish the walk home. On the other side of our house, were my cousins. We had such grand adventures together!

When I heard we were moving to Texas I dreaded the move and dragged my feet. I didn’t want to live where I would have no family! I always thought my children would grow up surrounded by cousins to play with and grandparents to spoil them. Making the move to Texas was hard for me. Over the past 1 ½ years, I’ve gotten used to being on our own and it’s become a little easier.

When we moved here I swore that I could never love anything about Texas. Well, since then I’ve found the one things I love about Texas, its winter.

Growing up in Utah there was always lots of snow in the winter. Boy did I love it! My siblings and I had fun playing in the snow, making snowmen, riding snowmobiles around the house and fields, and ice skating on Utah Lake. When I turned 16 and got my driver’s license, I realized I hated snow. I hated driving to school in the snow. It scared me to death! School was never canceled, no matter how much it snowed. To make matters even worse, the car I drove was an old Toyota Celica. The windows always leaked whenever it rained or snowed. How could anyone love the snow and winter!

In Texas there is very little snow and very mild temperatures during the winter. The weather is so lovely I almost forget its winter throughout the rest of the world. Occasionally, there’s a big ice storm and schools and business’ have to close because the roads get so bad. There is a downfall though! The completely random days where it’s freezing cold, I’m talking like 30 degrees! Try going from 70 degrees to 30! Some days I think it would be nice to have the constant cold and have it gradually warm up verses going from warm days to randomly cold days and weeks.


This little girl completely melts my heart. I cannot imagine life without her. My life would be so lonely and have no purpose. I am truly grateful to be her mother.

On a random side note, I finally finished my Christmas in May decoration. I know, it's usually called Christmas in July so I guess that just means ahead of schedule. I’m already starting on new decorations for Christmas!


Truthfully, it’s been an on-going project since before Christmas. I know lame, right? At least I finally finished it though. I’m the type of person that loves to look at crafts on Pinterest. I often think ‘I could make that,’ but once I start the project I lose interest. Without Stephen’s help I never would have finished or even started this project. Chances are I would have still been doing it at Christmas time, so thanks Steve!!!

No comments: