Tuesday, July 22, 2014

No Need For a Recipe

Whenever I make dinner I know if its a good meal within seconds after we sit down to the table. If its a good meal, Stephen moans and groans and tells me how good of a cook I am. I have to admit, those meals make me feel pretty spectacular at cooking. However I always just tell him I'm not a good cook, I just follow a recipe. On occasion, Stephen will attempt to make a meal, usually with no recipe. He's always frustrated and disappointed when it doesn't turn out right.


Throughout the week, I've watched our bananas start going bad. I figured I could make banana bread pancakes with them this weekend. We can never eat our bananas quick enough.

Lately Stephen has been helping me fix dinner, because by the time he gets home I'm barely hanging onto my sanity. Piper is usually screaming at the top of her lungs hanging on my legs while I'm attempting to make dinner. I'm always so grateful when he walks through that door.

On Saturday I decided to make our favorite omelet while Stephen made the pancakes. With the last pancake cooking, I sampled the pancake batter. It had no taste! Usually the batter is my favorite part of the pancakes. I love it so much I'd rather eat it than the pancakes. I tried the pancake and it tasted like flour. After confronting Stephen we figured out his problem.

#1 problem: Stephen goes through these phases. He usually eats pretty healthy but then he gets into these phases where he's extra extra healthy and wants absolutely no sugar in his diet. Last week was one of the extra extra healthy phases. The pancakes called for brown and white sugar. So he thought he'd use less than what was called for.

#2 problem: Stephen read the recipe wrong! The recipe called for a tablespoon of brown sugar and 1/3 cup white sugar. He thought it was ONE tablespoon of brown and white sugar. What a difference it made!

During breakfast discussed why its important to follow recipes and how said recipes have be tried and tested before people publish them. Yes, I was also talking to myself. Our favorite omelet didn't turn out either because I too didn't follow the recipe! Needless to say it was not the best breakfast ever. 

1 comment:

Jen Gull said...

You eat pancake batter?! You're crazy ;) haha I never knew you did that.