Saturday, July 26, 2014

A Party to Remember: 4th of July

The day before the 4th, we left bright and early for Arkansas. For years, I have been told about the 4th of July party the Sitton's have at their house. At the party, Wally flies his Piper Cub overhead and throws candy out the window. Before Stephen and I were married we planned on flying out for the party. I was even told I could throw the candy out of the plane that year. Things fell through and we didn't end up going. This year, Stephen's parents made sure we were coming. They even promised if we came I could throw the candy out of the plane.

When we arrived at the house we found bags and bags of candy and streamers. It was like Halloween on steroids! Each candy had to be taped and then wrapped with a streamer.


We spent several hours wrapping the piles of candy. Good thing there were lots of helping hands!


Of course, how can you possibly wrap that much candy without a little sampling? We wouldn't want to hand out any bad candy. I gladly took one for the team by sampling the first one. Thank goodness it tasted ok. Piper even tried to help out with the sampling! I think some lucky people ended up with smooched candy!

Because Piper loves Signing Time so much we decided everyone needed to watch it while we finished wrapping. Stephen's cousin, Chris, loved it SO much he decided he was done rolling candy. It was a good distraction for the baby monster but not so much for the grown-ups. Oh how we love Signing Time!  


The 4th of July started early for Piper and I. Instead of waking everyone up, we decided to go for a walk. In Arkansas there's lots of hills so we had a good walk. During our walk, we walked right past the cemetery so we stopped to visit grandpa, grandma, Scottie, and Marie.


By the time we got back from our walk, people were starting to wake up. On our drive to Arkansas, Piper looked so uncomfortable in her little baby car seat. I've been meaning to get her a new car seat for awhile but hadn't gotten around to. We went to Walmart, found one we liked, and tried to pay for it. Unfortunately it was on recall for buckle problems so the store wouldn't sell it to us We were sad to walk out of the store without a new car seat.

On our way out, we had to stop by the garden section to pick up some flowers and try out their nifty wagons. Pretty sure we need one of these at home! Piper had so much fun being pulled around. I was surprised she didn't try to stand up.


When we got back home from the store, people were starting to set up for the party. There were tons of people setting up all the fireworks, getting the grills and food ready, and setting up tables and chairs.


Before too long everyone from the ward started showing up for the party. There were games, yummy food, singing, the candy drop, and fireworks planned for the evening.


Piper loved having little kids around to play with. There were a bunch of bats and balls laying around to play with. She had no idea what to do with a bat but she carried it everywhere with her that night.


A mini table and chairs were setup for the kids. We sat Piper in that chair and she could have sat there forever. The little kids liked feeding her and Stephen chips. It was kind of cute!


Before dinner started Piper and I were playing on the side of the runway. A bunch of missionaries were tossing around a football and ended up throwing a bad pass. Piper and I were in our own little world and didn't realize what was happening. The ball ended up hitting Piper right in the stomach and knocked her over. I think I was more scared for her than she was. She didn't even cry! I think a little bit of the mama bear in me showed up. This girl is physically strong. I've seen many times before she got hit with a football. Many times people have commented how strong she is. I sure believe it now!

Soon after, it was flight time. Wally, the boxes of candy, and  I made the long walk down to the end of the runway where the Piper Cub was waiting for us.


How I love flying! I love the feeling as the plane begins to pick up speed and the wheels begin to lift off the ground. Its absolutely thrilling. Being in the air lets you see the miles and miles of rolling hills covered in trees.

As I would get ready to toss out handfuls of candy, the streamers would catch on my fingers. The second I put my hand out the window the wind would rip that candy right out of my hand. Ever since Piper was born my wedding ring has been pretty loose. I don't wear it much because I'm afraid it'll slip off my finger. Its the worst when my hands get wet. I know, I should have my ring re-sized.

While flying with my hands out the window, I was afraid the intense wind would rip my ring right off my finger. I put that little beauty in my pocket and luckily nothing happened to it.


After we finished throwing out all the candy and landed the plane, Wally handed me all the candy that was in the back of the cab. With all the candy he handed me, he must have looked like a mummy wrapped up in candy and streamers. That's a picture I wish I could have seen! I had enough candy to fill both of my vest pockets.

Once it got dark enough, the fireworks started.


There were some pretty fantastic fireworks. I was quite surprised. I was expecting cheap, little fireworks not the big 'kaboom' ones. Surprisingly Piper did really well with the fireworks. She was more than ready for bed by the time they were done.  


Saturday morning, Stephen, Piper, and I visited the lake early in the morning. It was so pretty with all the steam coming off of it.


While we were on the dock, Piper walked right to the edge and tried to walk off. Good thing I was holding her hand! This girl has no fear.

Later, we went out on the lake for a boat ride and some cliff jumping. The lake was super nasty green but it sure felt refreshing to get in.


Even though Piper was uncomfortable in her baby seat, she did super well on the drive. Armed with some music on Stephen's phone and her milk, we had a semi-happy girl. Thank goodness she FINALLY fell asleep!


We had a fantastic 4th of July spending time with family and friends. I sure hope we get to be there again next year! 

1 comment:

Ben and Kristen Call said...

What a fun 4th!!! You guys should go every year, they throw a GREAT party! Love the last picture with Piper asleep with her mouth open and drooling milk! She will be so thankful that you captured that moment on camera when she gets older. :)