Monday, September 29, 2014

The Crazy, Un-Crafty Lady

Since the beginning of August my life has revolved around all things craft related. The last 1 1/2 months have been crazy busy! Last December I was called to serve as the Relief Soceity 2nd counselor. I was astonished, sick, worried, and nervous for this calling. The majority of the ladies in my ward are older and have much more experience than my 26 years. I most definitely wasn't prepared for this calling and didn't want it. I felt much more comfortable playing the piano in Primary and didn't want this change. Unfortunately, that wasn't for me to decide.

As much as I didn't want the change, I am grateful for it. This calling has definitely pushed me outisde of my comfort zone. I've had to teach the women in my ward, conduct meetings, oversee a committee of women, and plan & organize activities. Every aspect of this calling has been hard for me. When I was first called, I wanted to cry and pull my hair out. I had no idea what I was doing. Thankfully over time things have gotten easier.

Every month, my committee and I plan a new activity. In August my sister started sharing craft ideas with me over Pinterest for our Relief Soceity craft night. I suddenly panicked and realized I needed to start gathering ideas and making crafts to advertsise. I was scared for this activity because I feel so uncrafty. I see people all over blogs, pinterest, etc. that create crafts galore. Heck, I'm lucky if I can even finish a craft from start to finish without losing interest.


As I gathered ideas, I drove Stephen crazy. As I gathered supplies, I drove Stephen crazy. As I started making the crafts, I drove Stephen crazy.  I was so grateful for his listening ear. I'm sure by the end of the week he wanted to remove his ears so he didn't have to hear me speak. My mind was running in craft mode 24/7. By the end of the week I felt like I had won the world's worst mom award. Piper was whiney and just wanted attention and I was grouchy and sick of running all over town with a screaming, I-want-to-touch-everything-in-sight-baby. I have never been so happy for a week to end!

After gathering all my ideas and revising those ideas a bajillion times. I came up with the crafts. During the week I worked on 4 of the crafts and handed the others over to people on my committee and in the presidency.


I sure am grateful for a loving, patient husband who helped me continuously throughout the week. I'm not sure what I did without him and his amazing help 5+ years ago. Throughout the past few weeks he has helped me design crafts with his incredible photoshop skills, cut and weed vinyl, and even gave me lots and lots of back rubs to combat those nasty headaches. He was my contstant support the whole time and never once complained. Did I mention he was more ready than I for craft night to be over? I could not have done it without Stephen!


Last week, was our Relief Society craft night. I'm now certain I need a year break from crafting.... or at least a few weeks! Goodbye stress. I now expect to have a goodnight sleep without any craft related nighmares.

No comments: